Mumbai (Maharashtra), March 27: Proving its mettle yet again, Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) has been conferred the prestigious ‘Aviation Sustainability & Environment’ award by Wings India Awards 2022 for its efficient green practices. On 25th March 2022, CSMIA was lauded by the eminent panel of judges at Asia’s largest event in Civil Aviation – Wings India 2022, jointly organised by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad. The accolade comes as a recognition of CSMIA’s commitment and relentless efforts towards implementing sustainable initiatives as well as inching closer to being one of the country’s most eco-friendly airports.
With sustainability at the heart of every decision making, CSMIA has undertaken initiatives of building an effective waste management system, carbon management system, carbon neutrality, wastewater recycling, and enhancement in renewable energy capacity, to name a few. CSMIA released the 5th edition of its biennial “Sustainability Report 2020″, which outlined the airport’s approach, performance, and achievements under three pillars of sustainability principles – Social, Environment, and Economic. Moreover, CSMIA is the first airport in the Asia Pacific to have published a Sustainability report as per the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards.
Speaking on the occasion, the CSMIA spokesperson said, “It is a matter of joy and pride to be a part of Wings India 2022 and receive this prestigious award on behalf of CSMIA. This recognition is a testament to our continued efforts towards superior operational performance while actively contributing towards building a sustainable aviation ecosystem. With nearly 5000 flights expected to fly weekly in the summer and passenger footfall reaching new highs every day, we will continue to provide world-class service and comfort to all our passengers while being custodians of environment management and sustainable performance”.
Each year, Wings India Awards recognizes airlines, airports, institutions and organisations from the aviation industry that have created benchmarks and made notable contributions in the field of Civil Aviation in India.
CSMIA, over the years, has time and again been recognised for its exemplary work in the environment and sustainable initiatives. The airport bagged the Silver Award at the esteemed ACI Asia-Pacific Green Airports Recognition in 2020 for its sustainable water management approach and environment-friendly practices. Besides, CSMIA’s Terminal-2 (T2) was recently conferred with ‘PLATINUM rated Green Existing Building Project’ for the period 2021 to 2024 by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC). Being one of the busiest airports of India, CSMIA’s proactive efforts towards sustainability and environmental measures assure the highest safety standards for all its passengers while transiting through the airport. CSMIA’s commitment to pioneer initiatives envisions building a sustainable ecosystem, paving the way for a greener tomorrow.
About Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL):
Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) is managed by Adani Airport Holdings Limited (AAHL), a subsidiary of Adani Enterprises, the flagship company of the globally diversified Adani Group. MIAL is a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) venture between AAHL, holding a majority stake of 74%, and the Airports Authority of India, holding the rest 26%. AAHL aims to converge India’s biggest cities in a hub and spoke model through the Group’s proven strength in developing and managing complex transport & logistics hubs.
With a strong understanding of modern-day mobility requirements, the Adani Group’s vision for MIAL is to reinvent Mumbai International Airport as India’s biggest aerotropolis, where the traditional airport nucleus of passenger and cargo infrastructure will be reinforced by interdependent clusters of commercial and residential infrastructure to create the nation’s busiest airport ecosystem.
MIAL has been further envisioned as a global air-travel focal point where domestic and international flyers actively engage in business and leisure supported by metropolitan expansion that catalyzes aviation-linked businesses and employment opportunities. At MIAL, we intend to create distinctiveness with an experiential offering that puts Mumbai first.